Using the Library

How can I get a library card? 

Residents of Ellsworth and surrounding areas may obtain a library card at the J.H. Robbins Memorial Library. The card issued by J.H. Robbins Memorial Library is free.

When applying for a library card, we need to ask three things:

·         Do you have a library card from another library?

·         Do you have photo I.D.?

·         Do you have proof of current residence?

A driver’s license with current address is the easiest way to apply. If you do not have that, we will accept a photo ID, plus one of the following:

·         A checkbook with your name and current address printed on it.

·         A current lease with your name and address on it.

·         A piece of current mail only if the envelope has your name, current address and a postmark dated within the last 30 days.

Can I apply for a card at J.H. Robbins Memorial Library even if I don’t live in Ellsworth?

Yes, you can.

Where can I use my library card? 

 Your Ellsworth Public Library card can now be used at CKLS libraries in the following cities:


Agra, Alton, Bennington, Bison, Burdett, Burr Oak, Cawker City, Claflin, Clyde, Concordia, Courtland, Cuba, Delphos, Downs, Ellinwood, Ellis, Formoso, Gaylord, Glasco, Glen Elder, Great Bend, Gypsum, Hoisington, Hunter, Jamestown, Jewell, Kanopolis, Kensington, Kirwin, Lacrosse, Larned, Lebanon, Lincoln, Logan, Long Island, Lucas, Luray, Mankato, McCracken, Minneapolis, Natoma, Osborne, Otis, Palco, Phillipsburg, Plainville, Prairie View, Randall, Republic, Russell, Rush Center, Scandia, Smith Center, Stockton, Sylvan Grove, Tipton and Wilson.

 Items can now be checked out from and returned to any of the above libraries.  All you have to do is choose a home library!


How old must a child be to have their own card?

Children must be Kindergarten or older and the child’s parent or legal guardian must sign the application taking financial responsibility for materials checked out on the card, including replacing lost, damaged, or stolen items and paying for items damaged or lost. We do ask that children’s cards be used only to check out children’s materials.

I’ve moved, do I need to contact the library?

Yes, please notify us of the change so your records can be updated.

Also, please notify us if your telephone number or email address has changed.Your Ellsworth Public Library card can now be used at CKLS libraries in the following cities: