Preserving the Past... Serving the Present... Shaping the Future...
1910 – Mrs. Eva Robbins approached the Ellsworth City Council with a proposition to build a city library in memory of her late husband, J. H. Robbins. She would build the building for a cost of $5,000 and the city would provide the lot and $100 per year for maintenance, repairs and improvements. The city council agreed to the proposal and it was found that lots 14, 15, & 16 in block 19 were available. This was the site of the first Catholic Church in Ellsworth. Public subscriptions were taken and $1229.95 was raised to purchase the land and build the library.
1913 – The new library was erected and opened in October. The first board meeting in the new building was held on October 13, 1913. The first librarian was Mrs. Chas. Evans. To start the library the Ladies Library Association formally gave the new library 1398 books, $15.00 for new books and $155.91 to apply on the salary of the librarian. The new library consisted of one small room above with a librarian’s office, stock room and reading room and a basement with furnace and one small toilet facility.